A lockdown is an emergency procedure intended to secure and protect occupants who
are in the proximity of an immediate threat. This procedure is used when it may be
more dangerous to evacuate a building than stay inside.
If there is an emergency on campus or adjacent to campus which threatens the safety of the University community, a lock-down notice will be sent through the University's LiveSafe alert notification as soon as possible. A notice will also be placed on myLMU and designated campus officials will notify building occupants directly if safety allows. When the University places the campus on lockdown or if you hear gunfire, you must immediately seek cover.
If you are in a dorm or other campus building:
- Lock all doors in the area. If it is not possible to lock the doors, place furniture and equipment in front of the door to barricade. Use whatever means possible to restrict entry to the room.
- Remain calm
- Turn off the lights
- If possible and without risking your safety, close blinds and window treatments for concealment.
- If possible and without risking your safety, cover any windows or openings that have a direct line of sight into the hallway.
- Put cell phones on silent, and if communication is needed, use text messaging only.
- Remain quiet and do not enter hallways.
- Unless you observe a fire, do no sound the fire alarm to evacuate the building. People may be placed in harm's way when they are attempting to evacuate the building.
- If a fire alarm does go off during a lockdown, do not evacuate unless you smell smoke, or see fire.
- Move to the point in the room that is the least visible from doors and windows.
- Stay in the classroom or dorm room until an all clear is advised by LiveSafe alert notification, a law enforcement officer, or a campus official.
- Be aware of alternate exits if it becomes necessary to flee.
- LOCK EXTERIOR DOORS (if possible).
If you are outside:
- If it is safe to do so, run into the nearest building and follow the above lockdown instructions.
- If it is not safe to run into a building, hide behind a large heavy object (i.e. Vehicle, tree).