Office of Counseling Services
Mental Health/Life Threatening Emergencies
If a mental health/life threating emergency happens, please follow one of the steps below:
On Campus: (Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
- Tell your RA, RD or other student services staff member you need to talk to a counselor.
- Go to the Office of Counseling in Duke Hall 202 and ask to speak to a counselor
- Call 423.869.6277 to speak with a LMU Mental Health Professional
On Campus AFTER HOURS
- Contact your RA, or RD.
- Contact Campus Public Safety (423-869-6911) or 911
- Call the LMU Mental Health Counseling Office 423.869.6277
- Call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline (1.800.273.8255)
Extended sites/Off campus
- Call 911
- Go to the nearest hospital emergency room
- Call the LMU Office of Mental Health Counsling to speak to a mental health professional 423.869.6277
Students experiencing a mental health emergency (threat to self or others) will be transported to the local hospital emergency room by ambulance or campus safety officers for safety and liability reasons. As per the law in Tennessee, the local crisis services team will evaluate the student and make approperate referrals. Our primary goal is the safety and well-being of all of our students. The Office of Student Services will contact parents/guardians in the event of a hospitalization, per campus policies and procedures.