Impact Image

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions in


Allied Health Sciences 


    1. If I want to become a veterinarian, what should I major in?

 Answer: The Veterinary Health Science (VHS) degree is the only degree program in Allied Health that will meet the course requirements needed for vet school admission. A veterinarian is someone that has completed undergraduate prerequisite courses and has been accepted into and graduated from a college of veterinary medicine. Veterinarians are doctors and are responsible for diagnosing disease, prescribing treatment, and performing surgery on animals. It takes roughly 8 years to become a veterinarian – 3 or 4 years in an undergraduate preprofessional program and 4 years in vet school.


     2. What about the Veterinary Animal Science (VAS) and the Veterinary Health Industry(VHI)majors? Can I go to vet school if I enroll in either of them?

Answer: No. Only the VHS degree contains the necessary prerequisites for vet school admission.


     3. Can I apply to vet school after I complete the Veterinary Medical Technology Degree?

Answer: No. Vet schools have several upper-level science requirements that are required for admission and the veterinary medical technology academic plan does not require those science courses. A veterinary technician is someone that has graduated from an AVMA accredited veterinary technology program and has passed their licensing exam, the VTNE. A veterinary technician works with the veterinarian to provide healthcare to animals. Veterinary technicians are trained in medical and surgical nursing, anesthesiology, laboratory procedures, radiology, and dental care.


      4. I am applying for the veterinary medical technology program, should I apply for the associate or bachelor program?

Answer: You should start with the associate program first. To apply for the bachelor’s in veterinary medical technology, a student must have graduated from an AVMA accredited AS or AAS veterinary technology program AND successful completion of the VTNE or identified testing window. If a student has not completed the requirements outlined above, they will need to apply for the associates in veterinary medical technology.


      5. I want to become a physical therapist. Which major is best for me?

Answer: The Exercise and Rehabilitation Science (ERS) degree contains all the prerequisite courses necessary to apply to the LMU Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program. There are several entry options, including entry after the junior year of undergraduate course with the possibility to earn the BS degree after finishing the first year of the DPT program.


      6. What about occupational therapy? Which major is best for that path?

Answer: The pre-OTD track in the General Exercise Science degree contains the prerequisite courses needed to apply to the LMU Occupational Therapy Doctor (OTD) program. Like LMU DPT, there are several entry options, but the prerequisites are very different.


     7. I can’t decide if I want to do physical therapy or occupational therapy. Can I  just take some classes from both majors?

Answer: Unfortunately, no. The ERS major has several science courses included and the pre-OTD general exercise science major has several psychology courses. Each one has been created with input from academic leaders in LMU DPT and LMU OTD to give undergraduate students the best preparation.


      8. I don’t want to do either physical therapy or occupational therapy, but I’m    really interested in physical activity and exercise. What should I choose?

Answer: The General Exercise Science degree is the right one for you. There are several options for minors or concentrations, such as Strength and Conditioning or Athletic Coaching. Or, if you’re interested in a professional program such as Physician Assistant studies or Chiropractic school, you can add some science prerequisites as electives.





To inquire about programs within the School of Allied Health Sciences:
Holly Evans | 423.869.7417 | [email protected]