impact image

Professional Licensure Disclosure



Background- Lincoln Memorial University offers several programs leading to professional licensure within the State of Tennessee.  Lincoln Memorial University also offers the ASN and BSN in Kentucky and Florida, which can lead to professional licensure in those states.  States vary in what professions they require to be licensed and how licensure functions. Some states require an individual to graduate from an approved program. Others require an individual to “meet [the] certification requirements of a national organization”. A specific amount of training can also be required as well as passage of an exam based on a state requisite exam score.  Often, licensed professionals must complete continuing education on an annual.


State Authorization- Lincoln Memorial University is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA) which allows us to provide distance learning programs (both online and in the form of supervised field experiences) and coursework to residents of states other than Tennessee. NC-SARA membership, however, does not grant reciprocity or exempt us from state professional licensing requirements.  As a result, licensing requirements in Tennessee may not be recognized as sufficient to obtain a license in any other state.


Relocation- Relocating while in the course of a program to another state may have impacts if the student can remain in the program, meet the state licensure requirements and/or continue to receive financial aid funding. Prior to considering relocation, please log into your WebAdvisor account to complete the change of address process and contact your program advisor to discuss authorization and licensure eligibility requirements.



34 CFR 668.43(a)(5)(v) Professional Licensure/Certification (PLC) pre-education requirements

The curriculum for programs customarily leading to licensure at Lincoln Memorial University have been designed to meet the licensure/certification requirements in Tennessee as well as preparing students to apply for licensure exams in the State of Tennessee.  The licensure boards in each state are responsible for establishing the requirements for licensure/certification for their state. Students who intend to return or move to any state other than Tennessee need to review the professional licensure disclosures pertaining to their program and consult with the state professional licensing board.  The state professional licensing boards make the ultimate decision as to whether or not an individual will be eligible to sit for licensure based on the rules and regulations in place at the time the individual submits their application for licensure. 


Some state licensing boards require additional requirements beyond education, which may include (but are not limited to): additional post-graduation examinations or experience, application and licensing fees, criminal background checks, reference checks, fingerprint submissions, etc. Continuing education may also be required for maintenance of certification/licensure. Make sure you understand and review any additional requirements prior to enrolling in your program.


State licensing requirements are always subject to change at the discretion of the state licensing board. The University will annually update this page, but we strongly recommend you inquire with the applicable state board to confirm your eligibility for licensure prior to enrolling in your program. For any questions regarding licensure, please contact the state/territory agency directly.  Students may also want to contact the program contact provided in the pages below for additional licensure information.


Licensing requirements vary by state/territory and relocating could impact whether you will meet eligibility requirements for licensure. For any questions about relocation eligibility, contact the agency where you desire licensure before relocating to ensure that you will be eligible for licensure or reciprocity.


Carefully review the educational prerequisites for your intended state/territory of licensure and whether our program meets those requirements for licensure. Use the agency contact information provided below to clarify or confirm any requirements.  If questions remain after reviewing the information provided below, contact you program advisor, or the contact listed with your program.


The State Licensing Requirements should indicate if the program curriculum Meets the requirements in these states and US Territories or Does NOT Meet the requirements in these states and US Territories. For students coming from a state or territory that does not meet requirements, students can only be admitted and enrolled if they sign an attestation that they plan to seek employment in another specified state.


Doctor of Medicine in Dentistry (DMD)
Doctor of Occupational Therapy (OTD)
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO)
Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT)
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
Doctor of Jurisprudence (JD)
Master of Medical Science (MMS) in Physician Assistant (PA) Studies
Mental Health Counseling (MEd)
Nursing (ASN, BSN, MSN)
Education - Teacher Licensure, Counseling & Leadership (BA/BS, MEd, & EdS)
Medical Laboratory Science (MLS)
Social Work (BSSW)
Veterinary Medical Technician (VMT)
Dental Hygiene (AS)
Registered Dental Assisting