Program Director: Dr. Bill Engle | 423.869.6471 | [email protected] | Room 112 Hamilton Math and Natural Science Building
Are you interested in a career in medicine? Are you self-sufficient? Precise? Thorough? Medical Laboratory Science is a healthcare career that combines modern laboratory science with medical care. Tests performed in clinical laboratories by medical laboratory scientists, formally called medical technologists, assist physicians in both the diagnosis and the treatment of pathological conditions. Medical laboratory scientists perform and interpret a wide variety of tests, ranging from simple blood glucose tests to advanced molecular diagnostic assays.
Bachelor of Science (BS) - 4-Year Plan (PDF)
Description of the Medical Laboratory Science Profession
The medical laboratory scientist is qualified by academic and applied science education to provide service and research in clinical laboratory science and related areas in rapidly changing and dynamic healthcare delivery systems. Medical laboratory scientists perform, develop, evaluate, correlate and assure accuracy and validity of laboratory information; direct and supervise clinical laboratory resources and operations; and collaborate in the diagnosis and treatment of patients. The medical laboratory scientist has diverse and multilevel functions in the principles, methodologies and performance of assays; problem solving; troubleshooting techniques; interpretation and evaluation of clinical procedures and results; statistical approaches to data evaluation; principles and practices of quality assurance/quality improvement; and continuous assessment of laboratory services for all major areas practiced in the contemporary clinical laboratory. Medical laboratory scientists possess the skills necessary for financial, operations, marketing, and human resource management of the clinical laboratory.
Medical laboratory scientists practice independently and collaboratively, being responsible for their own actions, as defined by the profession. They have the requisite knowledge and skills to educate laboratory professionals, other health care professionals, and others in laboratory practice as well as the public.
The ability to relate to people, a capacity for calm and reasoned judgment and a demonstration of commitment to the patient are essential qualities. Communications skills extend to consultative interactions with members of the healthcare team, external relations, customer service and patient education.
Medical laboratory scientists demonstrate ethical and moral attitudes and principles that are necessary for gaining and maintaining the confidence of patients, professional associates, and the community.
National Average Salaries Of M edical Laboratory Scientists
According to a recent survey published by the American Society for Clinical Pathology, BS degreed medical laboratory scientists on average earn $56,430 /year for the staff position to $92,946/year for the laboratory director position.
Lincoln Memorial University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges af the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate, baccalaureate, masters, specialist, and doctorate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097, or call 404-679-4500, for questions about the accreditation of Lincoln Memorial University.
The Medical Laboratory Science major leads to the Bachelor of Science degree and is fully accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS). Contact information for NAACLS is as follows:
5600 N. River Road, Suite 720
Rosemont, IL 60018-5119
LMU MLS Program Outcome/Highlights
- Twenty-one (21) consecutive classes of 100% pass rate on the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Board of Certification (BOC) Exam with both individual categorical and composite scores that far surpass the national average for university based NAACLS accredited medical laboratory science programs.
- Eighteen (18) consecutive classes of 100% employment rate of our graduates who enter the medical laboratory science workforce within seven days of graduation.
- One-hundred percent (100%) three year average graduation rate of senior MLS students who enter the final half of the program.
- LMU MLS Program Outcomes Spring 2013 - Spring 2019
Admission Application Requirements of the LMU MLS Program
- Satisfactory completion of a minimum of 65 credit hours of general education and collateral science requirements with a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher.
- Completion of 16 credit hours in chemistry including organic chemistry with laboratory and a minimum of 8 credit hours of biological science with labs.
- Submission of official academic transcripts from all postsecondary schools attended.
- Admission to Lincoln Memorial University as a declared medical laboratory science major.
- Completion of the formal application for admission process. (Please contact Dr. Bill Engle at [email protected] for more details.)
- Completion and submission of the medical profile physical form and official evidence of a negative urine drug screen. These are to be completed at the applicant’s own expense.Also, please be aware that in certain academic programs requiring internship or placement in a medical facility, (including Medical Laboratory Science) a criminal background check and/or an additional chain-of-custody urine drug screen may be required by affiliate agencies and organizations. If required, these tests would be administered at the student’s expense.
Admission Application Deadlines
November 15th for spring semester admission in Kingsport, Tennessee and May 15th for fall admission in Harrogate, Tennessee
Since clinical space is limited, all applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Late applicants will be considered on a “space available” basis.
Core Courses of the Bachelor of Science Degree in Medical Laboratory Science (42 Total Credit Hours)
MEDT 301 Introduction to Lab Methods and Techniques I
MEDT 302 Introduction to Lab Methods and Techniques II
MEDT 310 Hemostasis
MEDT 320 Hematology
MEDT 330 Immunology and Serology
MEDT 340 Immunohematology
MEDT 391 Intermediate Clinical Practice I
MEDT 392 Intermediate Clinical Practice II
MEDT 400 Urinalysis and Body Fluids
MEDT 410 Laboratory Management and Supervision
MEDT 451 Clinical Chemistry I
MEDT 452 Clinical Chemistry II
MEDT 461 Medical Microbiology I
MEDT 462 Medical Microbiology II
MEDT 491 Advanced Clinical Practice I
MEDT 492 Advanced Clinical Practice II
MEDT 497 Senior Review
Current Clinical Affiliates of the LMU MLS Program
While completing their Medical Laboratory Science courses students in the Medical Laboratory Science program gain “real world” experience in a variety of clinical settings. The current clinical affiliates of this program include the following:
- American Esoteric Laboratories (Strawberry Plains, Tennessee)
- Ballad Health Bristol Regional Medical Center (Bristol, Tennessee)
- Ballad Health Franklin Woods Community Hospital (Johnson City, Tennessee)
- Ballad Health Holston Valley Medical Center (Kingsport, Tennessee)
- Ballad Health Indian Path Medical Center (Kingsport, Tennessee)
- Ballad Health Johnson City Medical Center (Johnson City, Tennessee)
- Ballad Health Sycamore Shoals Hospital (Elizabethton, Tennessee)
- Blount Memorial Hospital (Maryville, Tennessee)
- Covenant Health System Claiborne Medical Center (Tazewell, Tennessee)
- Covenant Health System Fort Loudoun Medical Center (Lenoir City, Tennessee)
- Covenant Health System Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center (Knoxville, Tennessee)
- Covenant Health System LeConte Medical Center (Sevierville, Tennessee)
- Covenant Health System Methodist Medical Center (Oak Ridge, Tennessee)
- Covenant Health System Morristown Hamblen Medical Center (Morristown, Tennessee)
- Covenant Health System Parkwest Medical Center (Knoxville, Tennessee)
- East Tennessee Children’s Hospital (Knoxville, Tennessee)
- Molecular Pathology Laboratory (Maryville, Tennessee)
- Summit Medical Group (Knoxville, Tennessee)
- Heathstar Physicians Laboratory (Morristown, Tennessee)
- Tennova North Knoxville (Knoxville, Tennessee)
MLS Program Brochure (PDF)