Julie Hall, PhD, was recently appoint chair of the chair of the Department of Biology in the LMU School of Mathematics and Sciences. She earned a Bachelor of Science in biotechnology at Elizabethtown College in Pennsylvania and a PhD in biology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. During graduate school Dr. Hall focused on using genetics and microscopic worms, C. elegans, to understand aspects of aging. She also worked as a postdoctoral fellow at the National Institute of Environment Health Sciences in North Carolina and served as an adjunct professor at Meredith College in Raleigh, North Carolina. At LMU she teaches both undergraduates and master of science students and continues her research using C. elegans to study genetics and other topics.
- What is your favorite meal to prepare? I am a baker, not a cook. I love trying new baking recipes. I make decorative cakes for my kids’ birthdays. These have included a football, princess castle with three towers, ladybug, dump truck, transportation scene and a race car track.
- Where do you like to vacation? Anywhere. I love exploring and seeing new places. I try to take advantage of opportunities to go somewhere new. In graduate school I got to go to a conference in the Swiss Alps and used the chance of being in Europe to visit a friend in Scotland. Never pass up on an opportunity to go somewhere new.
- What are the names of your pets and how did you decide on those names? We have three goldfish, Joe, Joey and Sarah. My kids won them at the county fair and named them. Joe was won a year ago and named by my son, so when he won one this year he named it Joey. My daughter named hers Sarah. We also have a dog named Callie. My son picked out the name because he used to go to karate with a girl named Callie and my daughter got to pick out the spelling.
- Talents or hobbies that others might not expect? Arts in general. I love being crafty and making things. I take tons of pictures and scrapbook. I also love to paint, draw and knit. I wish I had more time to do these things.
- Most difficult class you ever took? History courses. I love learning about history but I am not good at memorizing facts and dates.