Dr. Henry Spencer received his BS from Lincoln Memorial University in 1947 and continued his education at the Medical College of Virginia where he earned his MD. He served in the U.S. Air Force from 1942-45.
Dr. Spencer was been published in the Virginia Medical Monthly for his research on the limitations of the Oral Cholecystogram. He also did clinical research as part of the original trial on Cholegrafin with 200 patients with Drs. Groover, Christe and Merrett and Dr. Charles Bickam prior to its release in 1995-96.
Dr. Spencer taught medical students on a rotational basis and also lectured to family practice residents.
He was chairman of the board of the Christ Church School, and was third district chairman, president of the Vam Pac; president of St. Luke’s Education Trust, chief of radiology, Sheltering Arms Hospital and Chief of Staff, Welfare Board of the City of Richmond. He also served on the Lincoln Memorial University Board of Trustees and the Abraham Lincoln Museum Board of Visitors.
Dr. Spencer’s hospital appointments included: Chief of the Department of Radiology at McGuire Clinic St. Luke’s Hospital; Imperial Hospital, Westbrook Psychiatric Hospital; President and Chairman of the Board at McGuire Clinic, Inc.; President and Chairman of the Board at St. Luke’s Hospital and also as Chief of Staff.
Dr. Spencer retired from the McGuire Clinic – St. Luke’s on December 31, 1987. After his retirement he ran a private practice in radiology and did several hours a week of church work for the Presbytery as Chairman of the Church Development Committee. Dr. Spencer also served LMU as President of the Washington-Richmond Alumni Chapter.