Dr. Reed was born in Sneedville, Tennessee, son of the late Henry S. and Sara Morgan Reed. Coming from a family of staunch pioneers, Lon Reed and his father rode mules to LMU from Sneedville in order for Lon to attend LMU. He graduated cum laude from LMU in 1926 and then graduated from the University of Tennessee Medical School in 1935 and served his internship with the U. S. Naval Hospital in New York.
His wife was from Collierville, Tennessee, and completed a nursing program at the UT Medical School in Memphis, Tennessee, where she met Dr. Reed. Dr. Reed was superintendent of schools in Trenton, Georgia, for five years .Mrs. Reed’s father, a dentist, had a friend in Hot Springs, Arkansas, who needed a young doctor to help him in his medical practice. They went to Hot Springs, Arkansas, and began a general practice which was to span a period of 40 years.
He was a member of the First Baptist Church of Hot Springs, past president and member of the Mid-South Post Graduate Medical Association, member of the American Medical Association, Southern Medical Association, Arkansas Medical Society and the Garland County Medical Society. He was a member of the Hot Springs Lodge 62 P. & A.M., 32nd degree Mason, Shriner, Royal Order of Jesters, first president of the Hot Springs Shrine Club and received his 50 year Masonic pin in 1977. He was also a life member of the Elks Club.
When Dr. Lon and Elizabeth Parr Reed passed away (in 1980 and 2003 respectively), their plans for giving to Lincoln Memorial University continued to reflect their special love for this institution where he got his start in life. In October 2007, LMU dedicated the medical library as The Lon and Elizabeth Parr Reed Medical and Allied Health Library, which is located in the Carnegie-Vincent library, in honor of the Reeds.