The following information is a guideline to help the survivors of the donor carry out the wishes of their loved one.
- In the event of the donor's death, the Anatomical Donation Program at LMU-DCOM should be notified immediately by phone at 423.869.6745 or 423.869.6337 during the business day. After hours and or weekends please phone 865.585.7428 or 423.869.7911 for transportation of the body to the institution. Transport outside the designated service area of the program will be paid for by the estate. Within the limits set forth by LMU-DCOM, transportation costs will be covered by LMU-DCOM. The limits of the service are 150 miles.
- In the unfortunate event the donation is declined by the program alternative arrangements should be in place.
- Unfortunately we cannot allow funeral services with the body present immediately following the death of a donor. Families are free to hold memorial services without the body present as they wish. Additionally, each year faculty, staff and students will hold a ceremony to recognize donors. Families and friends are welcome to attend. Donor families will be notified in advance of the memorial ceremony. (Click on this link to fill out an invitation request.)
- The University will not be financially responsible for ceremonies held outside the program.
- All remains will be cremated. There are no exceptions. The cost of cremation will be paid for by the University. Cremated remains may either be interred at the University Memorial Gardens or returned to the family at the University's expense.
You can feel comforted to know that respect, dignity and security of your loved one is our highest priority. Bodies are ALWAYS handled with the highest degree of professionalism. Uses of the laboratories are restricted only to authorized faculty, staff and students of the health care professions.
Body Donation Coordinator/Administrative Assistant for Anatomy
Lincoln Memorial University-
DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
MS 4th Floor
6965 Cumberland Gap Parkway
Harrogate, TN 37752