Housing and Residence Life
Lincoln Memorial University and the offices of Safety and Security and Residence Life take great measures to build on the safety record of the community of Harrogate and the State of Tennessee. The University believes that members of the LMU campus community can assist in keeping themselves from harm by utilizing prescribed safety precautions and by educating themselves about the frequency and type of security breaches which occur on University property. Security will record and annually publish statistics on crime.
Students are encouraged to exercise common sense regarding personal safety. Each student must take an active part in his or her own personal safety and the safety of other community members.
Security Officers work closely with professional and paraprofessional Housing and Residence Life staff personnel. Both the Officers and the Student Life staff members on duty are available to receive emergency telephone calls from anyone on campus or associated with the University. All Security Officers have direct radio contact with local law enforcement agencies. To encourage accurate reporting of crimes and incidents, a formalized "Incident Report" is completed after each known event (when the victim allows us to report the crime).
What YOU can do to enhance YOUR OWN personal safety.
- avoid walking alone, especially at night
- walk in well lighted areas
- walk clear of any area with heavy foliage
- be alert and aware of your surroundings
- refrain from propping open locked residence hall doors
- use the viewing porthole provided in residence hall door
- have strangers identify themselves before unlocking any room door
- keep your room door locked at all times
- remove property from plain view
- roll up vehicle windows
- remove keys
- lock all doors
- park in a well lighted area whenever possible
- secure valuables left in your room
- print your name on valuables when appropriate
- remember to lock the door(s) and window(s) to your personal room each time you leave and when you are sleeping
- lock your room door when you are in the bathroom (traditional halls)
- pre-plan a course of action in the event of lost or stolen credit cards, checks or money