The Emerging LMU College of Veterinary and Comparative Medicine
Places of Interest / Things to do in the Area
- Abraham Lincoln Library & Museum – On the LMU campus – One of the world’s largest Lincoln Collections
- Cumberland Gap National Historical Park – Minutes north of campus – Historic Cumberland Gap, Civil War earthworks/forts, hiking, camping, picnicking
- Pine Mountain State Park – Pineville, KY – 20 minutes from campus – Hiking, camping, picnicking, scenic views
- Wilderness Road State Park – Ewing, VA – 15 minutes from campus – Hiking/biking/horseback riding, picnicking, Replica of historic Martin’s Station Fort
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park – 1.5 hours South of campus - Most visited National Park in nation - Hiking, camping, picnicking, fishing, scenic views
- Cumberland Falls State Park – 1 hour WNW of campus – Massive 60 foot waterfall on the Cumberland River creates a moonbow on clear nights when there is a full moon - Hiking, camping, picnicking, fishing, scenic views
- Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area – 1.5 hours West of campus - Hiking/biking/horseback riding, camping, fishing, whitewater rafting, scenic views, scenic railway, historic sites
- Other Natural Areas – Three National Forests and several other state parks located with 2 hours of campus
- On the Water – Norris Lake, Cherokee Lake, Douglas Lake, Martins Fork Lake, Laurel River Lake, Melton Hill Lake, Fort Loudoun Lake and Lake Cumberland are all within 2 hours of campus. Lakes and nearby Powell, Clinch, Holston, French Broad and Cumberland Rivers all offer good opportunities for fishing.
- Festivities – Cumberland Mountain Fall Festival (Middlesboro, KY), Kentucky Mountain Laurel Festival (Pineville, KY), Raid at Martin’s Station (Ewing. VA), Dogwood Arts Festival (Knoxville)
- Golf – Several courses within 1 hour of campus including Middlesboro Country Club, Wasioto Winds Golf Course, Cedar Hills Country Club, Three Ridges Golf Course, Clinch View Country Club and Woodlake Golf Course
- NASCAR/NHRA Racing – Bristol Motor Speedway/Dragway is less than two hours East of campus.
- Other sports – Tennessee Smokies (Class AA Chicago Cubs affiliate) – just east of Knoxville on I-40, MLB Appalachian League affiliates are nearby in Kingsport, Bristol, Johnson City, Elizabethton and Greeneville, Knoxville also has minor league hockey
- Knoxville, Tennessee – 1 hour SSW of campus. University of Tennessee athletics, two shopping malls, numerous other restaurants and stores
- Recreation/Shopping – All within 2 hours of campus Pigeon Forge (TN) and Gatlinburg (TN) Middlesboro (KY), Morristown (TN), Corbin (KY), London (KY), Tri-Cities (Kingsport, Bristol (TN/VA) and Johnson City, TN). Numerous attractions including Dollywood, Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies and the Titanic Museum.